Double Bad News re: Aaron's Kindergarten Situation

I called Penn Alexander yesterday to check in on Aaron's situation.  Two pieces of bad news:

(1) Aaron, who got #6 on the wait-list after all that waiting in January, is still #6 on the wait-list.  In other words, no one who registered for kindergarten and got in has subsequently left.  There is the possibility that people are waiting until the last minute to inform Penn Alexander that they will not be sending their child to kindergarten there, but as of now no one has done so.

(2) The School District may not tell us what school Aaron will be going to until later this month or even early September.  In other words, right before the school year starts. 

On the positive side, they hang on to that wait-list, so if there are students who leave during the school year, they'll start working down the list.  And, importantly, if the whole school year goes by and we're still not in, at least we don't have to get back in line for 1st grade registration.

I also found out that kindergarten doesn't start until September 19 (although parent-teacher conferences are the week before).  So we have a little bit more breathing room than I thought (I had September 13 in my head as first day for kindergarten).

Trying desperately to find peace in God through all this . . .  

Comments

Anonymous said…
Aaron will be alright (Deo volente). Good parents are really important. My wife taught kindergarten in a school that wasn't so great but all the kids with involved parents did really well and progressed a lot.

Best of luck! I hope it's a good experience for him no matter where he goes.
Unknown said…
Hoping for the best for your K situation! I still can't believe that there is no sibling preference in your district. What a hardship for parents to endure by not having your kids in the same school unless it's your own choice of course (that's us!). Does your district respond to some parental/community pressures? You have parent-teacher conferences the week before school starts? That's odd. Maybe I misunderstood your statement.
LH said…
Anonymous and Unknown, thanks for your encouragement. I need it!
Anonymous said…
If u don't get into PAS, try for Greenfield,Pwel,or Meredith, or Mc Call
Anonymous said…
I'm a parent whose kid is #3 on the waitlist (we'd probably recognize each other...). I was told the same thing, although the secretary also told me that they didn't officially withdraw families from the list until they received something from the parents in writing. She told me they're sending out letters to families later this month asking for info in writing, so my hope has been that's why there's been no movement. (Although I suppose families who are withdrawing their kids could proactively send PAS something in writing.)

I had that conversation in June.
Anonymous said…
Lee you absolutely would have to get in line for 1st if your child isn't in kindergarten at PAS. That's why people were lined up outside the school yesterday and this morning - to register for 1st-8th. I'm sorry but the SDP won't let them roll over the internal waitlist anymore.
LH said…
Anonymous, that's a useful piece of information. Thanks for sharing. I've wondered about this as well.

It is possible that we will both go through the ordeal of getting ourselves organized around a non-PAS school for our children, only to find out a week into the school year that a bunch of kindergarteners PAS was expecting to show up for the school year never showed up (i.e. had decided to go somewhere else but never bothered to tell PAS). I suppose that is better than waiting until the start of 1st grade or later.

(A friend of mine told me one or two kids per class always move during the school year, so I don't figure I'll have to wait any longer than the start of 1st grade and your wait could be even shorter, albeit less preferable than being able to start at the start of kindergarten.)
LH said…
Anonymous, that's helpful to know. That's not what Ms. Johnson @ PAS told me. At any rate, that's a long time from now, so hopefully Aaron will have gotten a spot in PAS by before then.
LH said…
Anonymous, btw I was told that yesterday's liner-uppers were appended to last year's list, suggesting that last year's list is still in effect. Still not sure what's what on this but thought I'd pass that along.
Anonymous said…
Then Mrs. Johnson and PAS should be reported to the main office of the School District of Philadelphia as PAS has been explicitly told to knock it off. You can't run enrollment to a publicly funded school based on a list some random secretary keeps in a drawer. People may like it because they think it benefits them but that's madness and incredibly shady.

Popular Posts